The presentation of special awards for outstanding performances at conferences and events is often one of the high points and an excellent opportunity to engage with delegates and guests alike. Melanie Osborne, Director at Special EFX, the acclaimed UK designer and manufacturer of bespoke awards, offers expert advice as to how to make sure your awards and trophies make the right, lasting impression:
- If you want to create a real buzz and establish the award as something of intrinsic value and to be coveted, then invest in a unique design and quality.
- Give your event longevity by commissioning a design that reflects the theme or logo.
- Prepare a short brief before approaching manufacturers: describe a typical winner including gender, age, type of job, industry sector and if the award needs to stand out in any promotional photography. This will provide invaluable information to a design studio.
- The quality manufacturers offer a design service as part of their service, or you can ask a design agency to create your award.
- An award or trophy is an excellent vehicle to promote your brand – make sure the design and quality of the award reflects your brand values.
- Size does matter – heavy awards do impress recipients and larger or unusual shaped awards make great PR photos.
- There are some fabulous, innovative manufacturing techniques, including full colour laminate acrylics, floating graphics in cast glass and oxidised metals – it is always worth visiting a supplier at an exhibition or its showroom, for some inspirational ideas.
- Always ask for a sample, to ensure you are happy with the ultimate finish, quality and appearance.